Thursday, April 1, 2010

Arizona Thursday

As promised, today is the first post of Arizona Thursday. Let me start off by explaining the reasoning behind this regular posting.

When I first moved to Arizona back in 2003, my idea of the state was pretty much of a bleak landscape dotted here and there with cactus. However, over seven years I've had my eyes opened to the myriad of environments that make up the state. I've truly enjoyed photographing the scenery and wildlife located in Arizona. With that said, I figured, "Why not post photos of this wonderful state?" Thus was born, Arizona Thursdays.

To start us off, I planned to post on our most obscure weather over these past couple of months. Granted we get rain every once in a while during the winters, but I felt as if I was back in South Carolina with the rain we've had since January. After one night of rain, Samantha and I made a journey out to the white tanks to photograph Waterfall Trail. It was obvious quickly upon arrival that we were in for a treat. Unfortunately the news of this was bad news for someone else. Before our arrival, a man had slipped on rocks flooded by the water and dislocated his knee. After waiting for the rescue crew to bring him down from the falls, we were able to proceed. Here is a shot that I got of the waterfall that was flowing much more that usual do to the above average rainfall.



It was worth the trip. I was able to move out into the pool at the bottom of the falls to get this shot. Definitely worth some wet shoes and socks.

Elsewhere on the trail, we came across some bushes, cactus, and flowers with rain water still clinging to them. I took the opportunity to make use of my very underused macro lens. The results follow here.



Later that same day, I was returning home from a grocery run, only to be baffled by the uncanny storm clouds moving in for another pass at the valley. With the sun setting, the lighting was absolutely stunning. I grabbed my equipment and literally ran down the street to the golf course and shot away until the the sun went down. I was amazed at the cloud formations and array of colors in them. Arizona has, by far, some of the best storm clouds I've seen.



With the rain past us, its now time to look forward to Arizona's Spring flowers. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment