Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Air Force Academy Cadet Chapel


Chapel Exterior

At the beginning of the month we made a brief jaunt up to Colorado Springs to visit my wife's aunt and uncle. While there I wanted to take the opportunity to photograph the Air Force Academy Cadet Chapel. I had seen the chapel once before that I remember as a child, but never from inside. Needless to say that I was blown away by the interior. The architect, Walter A. Netsch Jr., definitely created a unique and amazing structure.


Protestant Chapel Cross


Protestant Chapel Interior

Unsure if I could photograph the chapel using a tripod, I shot handheld, bumping up the ISO to help keep the shots sharp. The shot above was the only non-hand held of the group. I re-entered the Protestant chapel after a tour group left and was lucky to find no one inside. I pulled out my small pocket sized tripod and took several shots from the entrance. It's an understatement to say that the tripod was paramount in getting a great shot.


Chapel Pews

The chapel had tons of great details to photograph as well. From the stained glass lined walls to the pews designed from the shapes of a propeller and wing. Below the Protestant chapel are the Catholic and Jewish chapels both of which were just as intricately designed as the main chapel. This was a nice change to be able to photograph the interior and exterior of a very unique building. I love these opportunities and look forward to more.


Protestant Chapel Detail


Jewish Chapel Detail

No comments:

Post a Comment