Monday, February 13, 2012

Three Hoots and a splash of Garnacha



This past week I did a small shoot in order to get some photos for my sister-in-law, Renee. I've posted before on the subject, in a nutshell: she has a wine blog, I take photos for said blog. I really enjoyed this particular shoot as I tried some new lighting methods and worked on using multiple exposures for the final products. More on this momentarily.



My victims in this shoot were bottles for Three Hoots and Garnacha de Fuego. The Three Hoots shot was primary for use in her post, the Garnacha secondary for its good looks. I am extremely happy with both results and as a bonus for you guys, I'm going to give you an inside the studio view of this shoot.



Your first thoughts are probably "Wow, whats going on here?" Well, first off, my studio is my office, nice and unorganized most of the time. What I've done for the platform and backdrop is simple. I have a roller cart that I placed in front of the wall and draped a black sheet from the wall to the cart. The lighting is the fun part. For the bottle I wanted to faintly light the edges and put a splash of light to the label. Using my singular flash (seen above) I took 3 photos: One lit from the right, left and from above in the front. I bounced the flash off of a piece of white matte board to soften the light as well as expand it along the edges of the bottle rather than blast a singular point. Once in Photoshop, I blended the three photos together and finito.

I hope you guys enjoyed this first ever glance into my work methods. Once your done here, check out Renee's blog at www.wineabit.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment