Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Garden Photography

The past couple of weeks we've had our sunflowers blooming and I decided to get out and snap a few shots of them. One of the flowers was just perfect and I wanted to try and get a shot of it with a bit of back lighting from my flash. Thankfully, our shed that the flowers sit against is white and worked perfectly to bounce my flash off of. With the early morning sun up but not over our wall, I was able to get nice soft lighting on the front of the sunflower so as to prevent any harsh shadows. I am really happy with the results from my first time photographing any plants at our new house.



My fun did not end at the flowers however. To my surprise, we had a guest literally hanging around the flowers. Underneath one of the leaves was a massive praying mantis. He was quite a model, looking at the lens frequently and thankfully, unafraid of me and my camera. I tried some shots with my flash, but was happier with the soft natural lighting available to me. I really loved this shot because of the matching lines of the leaves and the mantis' body.

No comments:

Post a Comment